-
July 26th, 2007, 04:33 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Every once in awhile, something new draws my attention away from listening to my well-worn oldies, this time it was a really catchy riff from a VW commercial of all things. Maybe some of you noticed it too, "That's the Thanks I get for Loving You" plays while a towtruck driver has second thoughts about towing a Bug. It impressed me enough to chase it down, turns out it's from some Chicago kids called 'Wilco'
http://www.myspace.com/wilco
I noticed they'll be at the Austin City Limits Music Festival this year, which I've been thinking seriously about attending. 3 days, 8 stages, 180 bands, including Bob Dylan. Oughtta be a good fix;
http://www.aclfestival.com/default.aspx
-
July 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM
#2
Inactive Member
awesome festival ....tickets have been sold out for a while though
....scalpers **** ...
-
July 26th, 2007, 06:22 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Three-day passes and Saturday passes are sold out, but single-day tickets are still available for Friday and Sunday.
I may just try for Sunday, looks like I can catch Charlie Musselwhite, The Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Wilco, The Decemberists, and Dylan's shows with a lttle time left over. Compared to other single show prices, that's a bargain for $80.
John, thanks for the tips, I'll be checking them out. I pretty well quit looking for new artists almost 20 years ago, when death-metal, hair bands, and c-rap seemed like all there was. Sure is nice to know at least a few newcomers still play music. It does this old heart good to see a youngster wailing on a B3...
-
July 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM
#4
Junior Hostboard Member
I saw Wilco at Bonnaroo this year, and they were great as always. Their latest 'Sky Blue Sky' is growing on me, but like many others 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' is probably still my favorite.
I will suggest that I enjoyed both Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) and Jay Farrar (Son Volt) more when they were together as Uncle Tupelo.
Regards,
John
-
July 28th, 2007, 03:16 AM
#5
Junior Hostboard Member
If you're going on Sunday, try and catch Grace Potter and the Nocturnals -- same stage as Charlie Musselwhite, and the set before him. I'm a big fan.
I saw The Decemberists at Bonnaroo as well, and they were okay -- I think the 90+ heat slowed them up a bit. They were just here in Philly recently to do a show with the Philadelphia Orchestra at the Mann (kick-*** outdoor ampitheatre), which was reported to be awesome.
Regards,
John
-
July 28th, 2007, 03:18 AM
#6
Junior Hostboard Member
And, if you're going to be there all day, Ryan Shaw is at 12:30 to 1:30.
It was a toss-up between ACL and Bonnaroo this year, but next year I think I'll be going to TX.
Regards,
John
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks